|| Index | Search|
|FHS | Horace Mann | Remington | Annie Sullivan | Davis Thayer | Kennedy | Keller | Jefferson | Oak | Parmenter | Brick | ECDC | Lifelong||| Public | All Schools|
Helen Keller Elementary School
Parent Communication Council By-Laws
It is the mission of the Helen Keller Parent Communication Council (PCC) to promote and enhance the educational and social environment of the school, which will benefit the children, the school, and the community. The primary purpose of the PCC is to help provide and support extra curricular activities that may be somewhat outside of the primary school offered classroom work. Any program, event or activity that targets a large portion of the school population, provides educational or curriculum related information and can serve as a positive influence for the children aligns with our goals as a PCC. To accomplish these goals, the PCC will raise money for enrichment activities, improvements in and around the school building and various items needed that are not included in the school budget.
Meetings will be held monthly throughout the year, as needed. The dates and times of upcoming meetings will be published in the PCC newsletter. Minutes shall be recorded at all general PCC meetings. Time shall be given to allow for open discussion at general and executive meetings as part of the agenda (new business).
Membership will consist of current parents and/or guardians, teachers and administrators of the Helen Keller Elementary School.
The Executive Board will be elected from the general membership. The Executive Board will work in collaboration with the general membership and seek input from the administration to determine how the mission of the PCC can best be realized. The Executive Board has the ability to act on certain matters requiring prompt action between meetings.
The Executive Board will consist of:
-- 2 Co-Presidents (2 year term)
-- 1 or 2 Treasurers (1-2 year term)
-- 1 or 2 Secretaries-Corresponding/Recording (1-2 year terms)
Positions may be added at the discretion of the general membership.
Any member may make a nomination. Nominations should be made at the general meeting. At the discretion of the Executive Board, a nominating committee may be formed to solicit officers for the Executive Board.
Elections will take place during one of the last meetings of the school year. The co-presidents shall serve a two-year term. All other elected officers shall serve a minimum of a one year term. The election of officers shall be conducted by paper ballot. In the event of a vacancy, nominations shall be a taken and a special election will be held to fill the vacancy at the next general meeting. Officers shall assume their duties on July 1st of each year.
RESPONSIBILITIES OF OFFICERS
Variations of the responsibilities listed below may occur at the discretion of the Board.
- Be the official representatives of the organization
- Preside at PCC meetings
- Develop a meeting agenda, gathering input from all appropriate parties
- Attend Joint PCC president meetings and report any pertinent information at the next general PCC meeting.
- Ensure that elections, presentations of accounts, and budgets are put forward for the appropriate general meeting.
- Have the ability to disburse funds of up to $300.00 with a phone vote to the treasurer and secretary(ies), in an urgent situation only, if and only if there is no scheduled meeting before the money is needed. Details will be provided at the next PCC meeting.
- Provide guidance and support when necessary, to committee chairperson(s).
- Call special Executive Board meetings.
- Be a signatory on the PCC account along with the treasurer.
- Collect and read all reports submitted by committee chairpersons.
- Review and approve all requests by school clubs, groups, etc to fundraise at PCC events.
- Write and distribute special notices and monthly newsletter.
- Newsletter shall be approved by PCC Executive Board and school principal prior to distribution. Content of the newsletter is limited to PCC/Keller school events and activities. At the discretion of the PCC Board, requests for inclusion are subject to review and may be denied.
- Oversee the updating of the PCC webpage with any current news.
- Submit monthly newsletter to web page administrator for posting to PCC web page.
- Receive PCC correspondence and share with appropriate membership.
- Write all thank you notes, send get well cards, sympathy cards, etc and corresponding messages as deemed necessary by the PCC Executive Board.
- Record and keep minutes of every general meeting.
- Distribute prior minutes, if requested, at general meeting.
- Have the minutes approved by co-presidents and principal prior to distribution.
- Maintain the minutes and other important documentation pertaining to the PCC in a file for future use.
- Notify membership of upcoming agenda.
- Keep and maintain current by-laws and have them available at all PCC meetings.
- Keep a file of committee chair notes for future membership.
- Update the PCC Bulletin Board with any current PCC news.
- Receive copies of all flyers and memos from committee chairs prior to distribution to students.
- Collect and distribute all monies, as needed, with the approval of the Executive Board and/or the general membership.
- Give a monthly treasurer’s report.
- Give a year end treasurer’s report summarizing final information from the year.
- The proposed budget for the upcoming fiscal year should be presented to the general membership and voted and approved at the next meeting.
- Custodian of all funds of the PCC.
- Maintain a record of all receipts and expenditures.
- Monitor monthly expense totals for budget compliance.
- Be the signatory on the PCC account, along with at least one Co-President.
- All financial records to be kept by the treasurer and brought to all PCC meetings.
- Provide tax receipts for donations.
The Treasurer shall file Federal Form 990, Return of Organization Exempt Form Income Tax with the IRS after the books are closed for the year or by November 15th.
Responsible for filing Form PC with Form 990 attached (w/associated fees) with the Office of the Attorney General, Non-Profit Organizations/Public Charities Division.
Note: An audit committee will examine the treasurer’s accounts at the end of each school year. This committee will consist of, but not be limited to, two (2) parent volunteers and any board member wishing to attend.
COMMITTEE CHAIRPERSON RESPONSIBILITIES
- The PCC Executive Board at the May meeting shall determine core committees for the upcoming school year. Additional committees may be added as deemed necessary. Chairpersons shall be appointed on a volunteer basis to head committees deemed necessary by the PCC Board. In the event of multiple volunteers, the parties may agree to co-chair, or a decision will be made by the Executive Board.
- Responsible for overseeing and implementing all aspects including planning, financials and oversight of the committee.
- Obtain approval from the school principal before distributing any communiqué or notices to teachers or students.
- Provide copies of all flyers and memos to the PCC recording secretary prior to distribution to students.
- Keep minutes / data regarding committee activities.
- Present status report to the PCC at monthly meeting, when pertinent. A delegated committee member may also present at the meeting.
- Prepare year end committee report to be passed onto next chair.
Voting members consist of current parents and or guardians of students of the Helen Keller Elementary School. To hold a vote at a general meeting, at least nine (9) members must be present. A majority vote of the members present shall be required for any action to be taken by the PCC.
Anyone seeking funding from the PCC must present a written proposal, in person, at a general PCC meeting and be available to answer questions. After a proposal is made, a free and open discussion may take place.
Any proposal for under $500.00 (that is not a change to a budget line item) may be presented and voted on at the same meeting. Requests for $500.00 or more must be made one meeting prior to a vote. All proposals should be made in writing with an itemized budget of how the monies will be disbursed. The dollar amount and how monies will be disbursed will be voted on at the following months meeting. If timing is an issue, membership must be notified in writing prior to the meeting at which the vote will take place.
If the membership decides during a discussion of the proposal, that more information is needed, the membership may vote to table the discussion until the next meeting.
At any time upon the request of the membership, a paper ballot may be used. The treasurer shall tally the votes.
PROVISION FOR PCC FUNDS
At the beginning of each school year, each budget item will be reviewed. Funds allocated for the current fiscal year will not carry over to a future fiscal year. If a committee earns excess money through fundraising that is not used by the end of the current fiscal year, that excess money shall be deemed to be general PCC money and will be available for general use the next fiscal year. Each budget item shall be considered as starting at zero every year and funds will be allocated as necessary.
Any contracts intended to be entered into on behalf of the PCC must be reviewed, prior to signing, by a review group, consisting of at least one board member (and Principal when over $1,000).
Any Business or Commercial Interests that wish to solicit the PCC’s participation in fundraising programs that mutually benefit the PCC and the Commercial Interest must submit a Solicitation Proposal Form (see attached) to the PCC Board for consideration. The Board will review the application and can either decline or present to the general membership for consideration.
BY-LAW AMENDMENTS AND REVISIONS
By-laws will be reviewed every two (2) years. If a member seeks a change in the By-Laws, a written proposal for the change must be presented to the general membership one month prior to a vote. The proposed change may be discussed at this meeting, but must be publicized before a vote at the next general meeting.
To amend a by-law in the interim, a proposed change must be presented to the general membership.
By-Laws last reviewed, updated, voted on and approved November 2, 2012
Next Review November 2014
PARENT COMMUNICATION COUNCIL (PCC)
SOLICITATION PROPOSAL FORM
This form is to be used for submission of an idea to be proposed for discussion by the board and or general membership of the PCC. Information outlined on this form will be reviewed by members of the board to determine further action. Please provide specific information and attach documentation as necessary for review. If you are requesting presentation time at a PCC meeting, please indicate the meeting date that you are requesting and be aware that your presence is required at that meeting for presentation. Your presentation must be limited to the time assigned to you on the agenda. A copy of this request form will be returned to you after review by the board.
Submission Date: _________________
Summary of idea/suggestion/proposal: (please attach any supporting documentation)
Are you requesting agenda time at a general PCC meeting: yes / no
If yes, date of meeting requested _____________
Name: ________________________________ Phone: __________________________
Mailing address: ______________________ Email: ____________________________
This section is for PCC Board Member Comment only
Reviewed by: _______________________________ Date: _______________________
Agenda time: Approved / declined / N/A Date: _________ Time Allowance: ________
Please return this form to the PCC mailbox at Helen Keller. You will receive a written response within 30 days
18174 This Web
site has been developed for the benefit of residents, schools,
businesses, and anyone who is interested in the town. It is a
work-in-progress. We welcome your questions, comments, and feedback on
how we can make it more useful and enjoyable to use. Please contact the Webmaster. "Genius without
education is like silver in the mine." - Benjamin Franklin
Updated: November 3, 2012
Copyright ©1995-2008 Town of Franklin, Massachusetts, All Rights Reserved. This website and its contents are the exclusive property of Town of Franklin. No contents may be reproduced or transmitted in any form or by any means, electronic or mechanical, including photocopy, recording, or any information storage and retrieval system, without permission in writing from the Town Administration. Permission to use includes acknowledging the source of the material. Click here to apply for permission.
This Web site has been developed for the benefit of residents, schools, businesses, and anyone who is interested in the town. It is a work-in-progress. We welcome your questions, comments, and feedback on how we can make it more useful and enjoyable to use. Please contact the Webmaster.
education is like silver in the mine." - Benjamin Franklin